Monday, August 18, 2014

Chalkboard Stenciled Wall & My Stenciling Tips

*I was compensated for this post with supplies, however all content, thoughts and opinions are my own.
Hey everyone!
 
This post has been a long time in the making. Over the past month or so, whenever i had a free chunk of time I would tackle another portion of this project.



 
 
No lie. This was a tough one. This is the third major project I have done with Cutting Edge Stencils (you can see my entry here and my hallway here), but the one that I struggled with the most.


 
 
I have learned a TON from this experience and I would love to share it with you all.
 
First, certain paints are recommended for use because they are proven to work easily. If you are going to deviate from that, like I did, know that your project will be more difficult.
 
Since this is the opposite wall to our featured graffiti wall in our study (here) I was really determined to use the same chalkboard paint to unify them.




 
 
Second, make sure you have a minimal amount of paint on your brush or roller. Because I was using chalkboard paint, I knew I needed good coverage, but in a couple of instances, completely overloaded my roller and it caused the paint to seep under the stencil.


 
 
Additionally, since chalkboard paint requires multiple coats. I had to have a lot of patience with this project. I would do a coat, walk away for a few moments and then come back and add a second coat before I removed the stencil and repositioned it.




(Note: I ended up completely painting over the one stencil under the wall and trying it again.)
 
Third, a few tips on paint seeping behind the stencil. Some stencils just seem more prone to it. The Tea House Trellis Stencil that I used definitely seemed to fall into that category. I've already mentioned to be judicious with the amount of paint you use.


 
 
But, I have a couple of other tips. First, if you do get a paint that seeps under, try to remove it as quickly as possible, before the paint has time to fully dry. I kept some baby wipes next to me and used them to clean up any of my major mistakes.


 
 
Next, keep your stencil clean and free of paint build up. This is huge in terms of getting a crisp stencil.


 
Lastly, be prepared for touch ups. My stencil came out far from perfect. But, it was a simple fix. Once everything was dry, I just went back with a small artist brush and corrected any of my errors.




Here is a corner of the wall, right before I started the project...



And, when I completed it....




I am so thrilled with the results. You guys! This room is nearly done and then I can share a full reveal. I just have one more thing to paint...a campaign style end table I found at the thrift store. Super excited to check another room off my list!




10 comments:

  1. Angela - it looks amazing! I don't think I'd have the patience for that...so I commend you!!!

    Cheryl @ The Creative Me and My McG

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE the way this wall turned out Angela!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the concept- it looks amazing!!!! fabulous idea, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, Angela - I love that bold graphic pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that pattern! Great idea painting it chalkboard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks fabulous! I stenciled some curtains with my tea house stencil and am always looking for other places to use it. I love the black and white combo - very chic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this looks great. I have one I ordered from The Cutting Edge a couple of years ago, and have yet to tackle it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I love it. You have way more patience than me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it Angela! It looks like it was a huge job but it looks great. -Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this stencil and I love how your wall turned out. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.